Up to 100 students from around the world will be carefully selected to attend the 2023 Preprofessional Dancer Institute. To be considered, all required audition items, along with the non-refundable $95 (50% off if submitted by November 30) audition processing fee, must be completed and received no later than April 1st.
Acceptance decisions will be made no later than May 7.
All selected students will be required to make a non-refundable 50% tuition commitment deposit by May 15th to secure their admission. The balance of tuition will be due by July 15th. Wait-listed students will be invited after May 15th as space allows.
Please note that it is in your best interest to begin the audition process early since we cannot guarantee that we can respond in a timely manner should you need assistance at the last minute in completing and submitting your audition materials by the deadline.
COMPONENT 1: A recent professional headshot in color.
It must be at least 300 dpi and less than 1MB.
COMPONENT 2: A one-page personal statement.
It must be in PDF format and less than one page.
It must address:
- What or who is your biggest inspiration?
- What will you contribute to the PDI Class of 2023?
- What would you like to accomplish in your dance career?
COMPONENT 3: A video submission.
It must be a single video that is edited to include both of the two sections described below.
VIDEO SECTION #1 is no longer than 30 seconds.
- A brief close-up shot of your face, from the shoulders up.
- Clearly state your full name, current city; state, region, province; country of residence; and your home studio/school that provides your primary training.
- Provide a brief history of your previous dance training.
VIDEO SECTION #2 is a solo approximately 90 seconds to 2 minutes maximum in length.
- A prepared solo, either ballet, modern, or contemporary, to musical accompaniment. The solo needs to be recent, performed in the last 6 months.
- State the title of the solo, the choreographer, and the composer of the music before performing.
- The solo may be original choreography or from a standard repertory.
- The solo should demonstrate your artistic qualities and flow of movement.
A few points regarding your video submission:
- A current solo is highly recommended. If you do not have a current solo (from the last 6 months), you may re-record an older solo or construct an improv. Your video must be recent as we will want to see your current technical and artistic aptitude.
- Although we STRONGLY encourage you to submit studio footage (first preference), we will accept a solo video professionally recorded at a convention/competition (least preferable) as long as it is from within the last 6 months. Remember: It is to your advantage to use the most recent footage so that it represents how you currently dance.
Clothing Requirements for Recorded Video:
- You must be in a unitard, tights, tight-fitting top, or leotard that clearly lets the viewer observe your technique.
- Do not wear skirts, loose-fitting tee-shirts, leg warmers, or costumes.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Wear clothing that contrasts with the filming environment so you can clearly be seen and stand out from the background.
Important Filming Recommendations:
- It is to your benefit to create the best possible conditions for filming.
- Carefully consider your space; ideally, there should be enough room for you to move around.
- Choose a place with minimal visual distractions for the viewer and as free as possible from ambient sound.
- Ensure you have adequate lighting, especially from the front and side. Avoid placing yourself in front of a strong light source (for example, a window or an overhead lamp).
- Be sure you are visible within the frame for the duration of the recording.
- Do not move the camera around while filming (i.e., do not follow the dancer around with the camera). Set it up at a distance far enough to capture the full performance and close enough to capture as much detail as possible.
- Review your video before submitting it to check for playback quality of the image and sound.
- Professionally recorded video is not required unless it is coming from a convention/competition.
COMPONENT 4: A recommendation letter from your studio/school director or a teacher who knows you well.
Ensure you include updated contact info for the recommender in case follow-up information is needed.
Your submission will not be considered if we do not receive, from your dance teacher or studio/school director, a reference letter in PDF format by the April 1 submission deadline.
The letter should provide an honest assessment of you based on the following criteria. You must share this information with your recommender:
- Potential for Success
Please note the following:
- The deadline to submit recommendations is April 1.
- You are responsible for sending them the link to submit their recommendation and confirming with the PDI staff that we received it by the April 1 deadline.
You have two choices on submitting your recommendation:
- Your teacher or director may give you the letter to submit on their behalf or
- They may choose to submit the letter directly to us themselves.
Please ask them how they would like to have it submitted. If they would like to send it in directly, please send them the link below. If you are sending in the letter, you will also use this link.
Link to recommendation form: https://preprodancerinstitute.com/recommendation/
Please remember to save your progress as you complete the various stages of your submission. Nothing is submitted until payment is completed, at which point nothing within the submitted materials can be changed.
Thank you for your interest. Please submit your audition information and materials below.
If you have any questions, please message us in the chatbox below or email us, and we will respond as quickly as we can.
2023 PDI Audition Submission Form
In order to start or continue a submission that is already in progress, you must be logged in. If you haven't already created an account, please visit the user registration page and complete your registration. If you've already completed your registration, and activated your account via email, then make sure that you are logged in so that you may proceed.