Up to 100 students from around the world will be carefully selected to attend the 2024 Preprofessional Dancer Institute. To be considered, all required audition items, along with the non-refundable $95 (50% off if submitted by December 15th) audition processing fee, must be completed and received no later than April 1st.
Acceptance decisions will be made no later than May 7.
All selected students will be required to make a non-refundable 50% tuition commitment deposit by May 15th to secure their admission. The balance of tuition will be due by June 30th. Wait-listed students will be invited anytime after May 15th up until the start of the Institute as space allows.
Please note that it is in your best interest to begin the audition process early since we cannot guarantee that we can respond in a timely manner should you need assistance at the last minute in completing and submitting your audition materials by the deadline.
COMPONENT 1: A recent professional headshot in color.
It must be at least 300 dpi and less than 1MB. If you do not have a professional headshot, please have someone take one for you on a camera in HD with a clean/clear background.
COMPONENT 2: A one-page essay.
A one-page, single spaced essay in PDF format (may not be longer than one page).
Your essay must address no more than TWO of the topics below. You may choose only one if you wish.
- What or who is your biggest inspiration?
- How has dance made your life better than it would have been without it?
- How do you intend to use your love for dance to make the world a better place to live for all?
- What would you like to accomplish in your dance career?
- What makes you unique and how does this reveal itself in your dancing?
- What has been your most impactful dance experience and why?
COMPONENT 3: A video submission.
You must submit a single video that is edited to include all four of the sections described below. (1. Introduction; 2. Ballet combination, 3.Modern Fusion combination; 4. Improv.)
Your video will need to be uploaded to either your YouTube or Vimeo channel. You will upload a link to the video on your application, not the video itself.
VIDEO SECTION #1 - Introduction (Maximum 30 seconds)
- A brief close-up shot of your face, from the shoulders up.
- Clearly state your full name, current city; state, region, province; country of residence.
- Tell us why you would like to attend PDI.
VIDEO SECTION #2 - Technique/Artistic movement quality
- Learn the Ballet combination shown in the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APga8qSWaDg. Record yourself performing the Ballet combo shown.
Access Ballet Combo music here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OZyEM0ILEoDR0dgyoidKzzeAuIQGm4k6/view?usp=sharing
Note: Start recording your combo video with the beginning of the musical file.You will not use the full 2:28 minutes of the music as the combo is much shorter than the entire selection.
- Learn the Modern Fusion combination demonstrated in the following link: https://youtu.be/-W-uuzWCsgw. Record yourself performing the combination.
Access Modern Fusion Combo music here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Zz5TA8S5sqjNY3NkOyTqR4nft1TTVFM/view?usp=sharing
Note: Start recording your combo video with the beginning of the musical file.You will not use the full 4:03 minutes of the music as the combo is much shorter than the entire selection.
- Please perform and record 45 to 60 seconds of improv. Choose your own music.
- Edit your four sections - Introduction, Ballet, Modern Fusion, and Improv - into one video and you're ready to submit!
- If you are new to or inexperienced in Modern, or don’t consider Ballet to be your primary strength, just do the best you can. We are not looking for perfection.
Clothing Requirements for Recorded Video:
- You must be in a unitard, tights, tight-fitting top, or leotard that clearly lets the viewer observe your technique.
- Do not wear skirts, loose-fitting tee-shirts, leg warmers, or costumes.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Wear clothing that contrasts with the filming environment so you can clearly be seen and stand out from the background.
Important Filming Recommendations:
- Your video should represent your current technical and artistic aptitude.
- Have one of your instructors watch your combinations and give you feedback before you record your video.
- It is to your benefit to create the best possible conditions for filming.
- Carefully consider your space; ideally, there should be enough room for you to move around.
- Choose a place with minimal visual distractions for the viewer and as free as possible from ambient sound.
- Ensure you have adequate lighting, especially from the front and side. Avoid placing yourself in front of a strong light source (for example, a window or an overhead lamp).
- Be sure you are visible within the frame for the duration of the recording.
- Do not move the camera around while filming (i.e., do not follow the dancer around with the camera). Set it up at a distance far enough to capture the full performance and close enough to capture as much detail as possible.
- Review your video before submitting it to check for playback quality of the image and sound.
- Professionally recorded video is not expected.
COMPONENT 4: A recommendation letter from your studio/school director or a teacher who knows you well.
Ensure you include updated contact info for the recommender in case follow-up information is needed.
Your submission will not be considered if we do not receive, from your dance teacher or studio/school director, a reference letter in PDF format by the April 1 submission deadline.
The letter should provide an honest assessment of you based on the following criteria. You must share this information with your recommender:
- Potential for Success
Please note the following:
- The deadline to submit recommendations is April 1.
- You are responsible for sending them the link to submit their recommendation and confirming with the PDI staff that we received it by the April 1 deadline.
You have two choices on submitting your recommendation:
- Your teacher or director may give you the letter to submit on their behalf or
- They may choose to submit the letter directly to us themselves.
Please ask them how they would like to have it submitted. If they would like to send it in directly, please send them the link below. If you are sending in the letter, you will also use this link.
Link to recommendation form: https://preprodancerinstitute.com/recommendation/
Please remember to save your progress as you complete the various stages of your submission. Nothing is submitted until payment is completed, at which point nothing within the submitted materials can be changed.
Thank you for your interest. Please submit your audition information and materials below.
If you have any questions, please message us in the chatbox below or email us, and we will respond as quickly as we can.
In order to start or continue a submission that is already in progress, you must be logged in. If you haven't already created an account, please visit the user registration page and complete your registration. If you've already completed your registration, and activated your account via email, then make sure that you are logged in so that you may proceed.